Recreation Summer Camp
Join us for RECREATION SUMMER CAMP in 2024!
As the popularity of the Recreation Summer Camp continues to grow, our registration process continues to evolve.
This year we will continue to use the lottery system. Registration to be placed into the Summer Camp lottery will take place over two days in December. At the conclusion of the second day, there will be a drawing to determine the camp participants – totally by chance.
Last year’s camp hosted 350 campers. This year, we will increase our capacity to 420 campers.
Camp will run from June 24, 2024 through Friday, August 16, 2023. Camp will be held Monday through Thursday from 8:00AM until 3:30PM and Fridays from 8:00AM until 12:30PM.
Cost per participant: $825 per camper for the entire eight weeks
Summer Camp 2024 Changes:
- During the summer of 2024, we will be introducing two co-camp directors, Mattie Azurmendi, an elementary school teacher and Summit resident, and Tara Corigliano, a staff member for Summit’s ABA program and our Share the Fun Club supervisor. We are excited to welcome Mattie and Tara aboard! We wish Becca the best of luck as she plans to move out of state.
- In an effort to continue to accommodate more campers we will also be utilizing Cornog Field House. One day per week, the following groups drop off and pickup location will be at the Cornog Field House/Soldier’s Memorial Field (5 Myrtle Ave). They will spend their entire camp day utilizing these facilities. The assigned groups will NOT go to the pool on these days. Making this change will allow for us to increase our camper capacity.
- Entering Grade 2: Mondays drop off and pick up to be at Cornog Field House
- Entering Grade 3: Tuesdays drop off and pick up to be at Cornog Field House
- Entering Grade 4: Wednesdays drop off and pick up to be at Cornog Field House
- Entering Grade 5: Thursdays drop off and pick up to be at Cornog Field House
- This year, camp registration will occur by the grade. We will be taking 60 campers entering each grade and 60 campers entering the CIT program.
- Entering Grade 1 – 60 campers
- Entering Grade 2 – 60 campers
- Entering Grade 3 – 60 campers
- Entering Grade 4 – 60 campers
- Entering Grade 5 – 60 campers
- Entering Grade 6 – 60 campers
- Entering Grade 7-9 – 60 campers
Note: Should a group not have enough campers to fill the 60 spots, we will create a hybrid group with campers in the grade below the level not filled. For example, if not all spots are taken by campers entering grade 6, campers entering grade 5 will be added to the entering grade 6 group once grade 5 has maxed out.
Registration Days: Friday, December 1, 2023 from 8:30 AM until 9:00 PM and Saturday, December 2, 2023 from 8:00 AM until 12:00 PM
Being the first person to register for the lottery will not grant any higher chance of securing a spot in camp. You may register for the lottery at any time over the two days and have an equal chance.
1. Register in person at the Summit Community Center, 100 Morris Ave, Summit, NJ
2. Register online –this link will be made available prior to registration.
3. Register over the phone by calling the Department of Community Programs at 908-277-2932.
Document requirement – the Civic Rec platform will have a Document Upload option. For any registration to be considered complete and to be placed into the lottery, both up to date immunization records and proof of grade must be uploaded. If these items are not in your registration, you will be disqualified from the lottery. Anyone on free and reduced lunch or looking for financial assistance must also have required paperwork.
Siblings: Siblings will be grouped together in the lottery. However, it is possible that as grade levels start to fill up, one sibling may secure a spot while another is placed on the waitlist.
For example Smith Child A is in Grade 2 and Smith Child B is in Grade 4. If Grade 2 is on a waitlist when the Smith family is selected but Grade 4 still has spots, Smith Child B will secure a spot and Smith Child A will be placed on the waitlist.
After registration closes on Saturday, December 2, we will do a drawing and announcement of all of the 420 individual who secure a spot in the camp. Once the 420 campers are selected, we will continue to do an additional drawing to determine the order of the waitlist. Spots on the waitlist will be given out by grade level as other campers drop out.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to the Department of Community Programs at 908-277-2932 or email David Guida at email@example.com.
2023 Summer Camp
CAMP SCHEDULE AND HOURS: Camp will run daily from Monday, June 24 through Friday, August 16. Camp hours are 8:00 AM until 3:30 PM (Monday-Thursday) and 8:00 AM until 12:30 PM on Fridays. Se below for information on our new wrap around program.
CAMP COST: Camp cost is $825 total for all eight weeks.
This eight-week camp includes arts & crafts, special events & outings, sports & games. Campers can also look forward to both yoga and other classes, as well. Many special appearances are made by a variety of entertainers, including magicians, weathermen, and more! There is so much to offer.
This general camp is open to Summit residents only. The TryCAN portion must be from a collaborating town and have participated in TryCAN programs previously.
CAMP WRAP AROUND PROGRAM
Do you need childcare after 3:30? This year, we will be adding a wrap around program where children will be welcome to stay at the Community Center for a more relaxed, free structured “afterschool” type program. This program will run Monday through Thursday from 3:30 until 5:30 PM. You may add this program by the week for $35 per week.
Campers Entering First Grade
Open to Children Entering Grade 1 (60 spots)
The Recreation Summer Camp is now open to children entering first grade. They will experience all the fun as the General Camp in a smaller group setting! Limited Spots Available!
General Summer Camp
Open to Children in Grades 2-6 (60 spots per grade)
This eight-week camp includes arts & crafts, special events & outings, sports & games, as well as afternoons spent swimming at Summit’s Family Aquatic Center. Campers can also look forward to both yoga and hip hop classes. Many special appearances are made by a variety of entertainers, including magicians, weathermen, and DJ Fusco! There is so much to offer.
Counselor In Training Program
Open to Children in Grades 7-9 (60 spots)
Assist Recreation Summer Camp Counselors in facilitating all programs and activities for Recreation Summer Campers. Counselors-in-training will still enjoy the full Recreation Summer Camp experience while learning the basics of what it takes to be a great summer counselor.
Generally Tuesdays are our trip day for Counselor's in Training
TRY CAN INCLUSION CAMP (25 spots)
This component of our program is open to ALL municipalities in the TryCAN Collaboration for children who require accommodations for their successful participation in camp.
Your child will be placed into a group with a 1:3 ratio that will be a subsection of grade appropriate groups of our general summer camp program. This model allows for your child to have a little extra attention and receive supports they require, while also getting the full camp experience! All camp counselors will be students in Seton Hall's Elementary/Special Education Program. Please be sure to select the Inclusion Camp option when registering. If you have any specific questions about the inclusion program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Must provide documentation of special needs or have previous participation in TryCAN Programs.